Rebel forces in the Central African Republic on Wednesday launched two attacks that were pushed back on the outskirts of the capital Bangui, Interior Minister Henri Wanzet Linguissara told AFP.
Officials with the UN peacekeeping force confirmed the two attacks.
Fighting was still underway, said UN MINUSCA mission spokesman Abdoulaziz Fall, who however spoke of only one attack.
A coalition of armed rebel groups, accused of an attempted coup after their offensive to disrupt last month’s presidential elections, have vowed to march on Bangui.
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.